Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Olympics!!

I have a confession to make: I am a sports junkie! 

I love to watch sports, of all kinds. Football and basketball, of course, but I've been known to spend an hour watching rugby, lacrosse and cricket trying to figure out their rules.

Every two years I get a 2-week fix called the Olympics. I love watching all the sports involved. I admire the athletes who are in the best shape of their lives competing against the the world's best in their sport.

I am not, nor have I ever been, an athlete myself. In high school I could barely walk and chew gum at the same time. But raising two daughters who were athletes gave me an appreciation of the hard work and dedication it takes to be great.

Right now the 2014 Winter Olympics are being held in Sochi, Russia. There are numerous problems and lots of issues swirling around these Olympics, but this is not what I care about. I love the sports and athletes we get to watch compete.

I am amazed how these Olympians make what I would consider impossible look easy. Cross-country skiing for 10 kilometers and then shooting a rifle at 1" targets. How the heck do they hold the gun steady? And the Gold medal went to a 40-year old man? Wow.

The new event called slopestyle skiing is amazing, not only the acrobatics, but the athletes themselves. They are obviously free-spirited indivuals, but they have an attitude that we all need to admire and emulate.

During the finals, one of the women had a horrible crash that broke her helmit. The look of horror on the faces of her competitors showed they were also friends as well. When she was finally able to ski to the bottom they were there to welcome her with hugs.

As each skiier came down with higher and higher scores, the new leader was congratulated by her competitors with high fives and hugs, led by the girl who used to be the leader and now was off the podium.

They recognized talent and great accomplishments, irregardless of their country of origin. This is the true spirit of sport, in my opinion. Do the best you possibly can, trying to beat your opposition. But when the competition is over, recognize and reward those who had a better day than you.



No comments:

Post a Comment